Albuquerque Police Under New Shooting Scrutiny
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — The Albuquerque Police Department came under new scrutiny Wednesday after officers shot and killed a man outside a public housing complex in the second deadly encounter in the last 10 days.
Police said the man was killed after he opened fire on officers responding to a frantic call from a woman who said the suspect had pointed at gun at two girls.
The family of the man, identified as Alfred Redwine, however, insisted he was not armed and only had a cellphone in his hand.
But Police Chief Gorden Eden released video from an officer's helmet that indicated shots had been fired from somewhere before an officer opened fire. He also showed pictures of the suspect's gun with three spent casings.
Still, it's too soon to know if the shooting was justified, he said.