10:22am

Wed March 26, 2014
Local and State News

Father, Son Perish in Residential Fire in Milan

GALLUP, N.M. (AP) — Authorities said a Milan man and his adult son died in fire in a pair of mobile homes when the father tried to rescue the son as three other family members made it to safety.

The Gallup Independent reports that those who died in the fire Sunday were identified as 48-year-old D.J. Garcia and 23-year-old Tyrone Garcia, who had Down syndrome.

New Mexico State Police Lt. Emmanuel Gutierrez says the older Garcia alerted family members after waking up, smelling smoke and finding the living room on fire.

Milan Fire Chief Keith Austin says family members who made it out told firefighters that two people were inside. But Austin says the fire was too hot to attempt a rescue.

An investigator determined the fire started in a wood-burning stove.