ROSWELL, N.M. (AP) — The family of a New Mexico middle school girl shot by a fellow student on campus says the suspected shooter "is not a bad boy."
The Roswell Daily Record reports that Bert Sanders, the father of 13-year-old victim Kendal, told reporters Monday he believes the boy's family are "good people." He also says his daughter and the suspected shooter are friends.
Kendal and 12-year-old Nathaniel Tavarez were wounded when the young gunman entered the crowded Berrendo Middle School gym Jan. 14 and fired three times from a 20-gauge shotgun.
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — Gov. Susana Martinez says the boy who was shot in the face and neck at a New Mexico middle school is on a breathing machine and is heavily sedated, but his doctors are optimistic.
Martinez says the 12-year-old remains in critical condition at a Texas hospital and that doctors have repaired slight damage to his heart. She also says his face has pockmarks from the shotgun pellets, and both of his eyes are injured.
But Martinez says the boy has improved, and his doctors "feel good about him."
SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) — A Senate committee leader plans a hearing during the upcoming legislative session on the awarding by Republican Gov. Susana Martinez's administration of a state fairgrounds lease for a horse racing track and casino.
Rules Committee chairwoman Sen. Linda Lopez, an Albuquerque Democrat who is running for governor against Martinez, said yesterday the panel wants to question current and former State Fair commissioners about the 2011 lease awarded to the Downs at Albuquerque allowing the construction of a larger casino at the fairgrounds.
ROSWELL, N.M. (AP) — The family of a 12-year-old New Mexico boy who police say opened fire inside his middle school gym is heartbroken over the tragedy.
The boy's parents and grandparents issued a statement through their lawyer yesterday, saying their thoughts and prayers are with the two children who were shot Tuesday at Berrendo Middle School.
The family says its remorse cannot be expressed in words. They added that they love the boy and will continue to cooperate with law enforcement as they piece together "how this awful tragedy occurred."
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — Family members and legal guardians of developmentally disabled New Mexicans have sued Gov. Susana Martinez's administration over cuts in services.
A lawsuit was filed in federal court yesterday to restore the services lost by individuals and stop the administration from continuing with changes to control costs in a Medicaid-funded program serving about 4,000 people.
SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) — New government figures show that older New Mexicans account for the largest share of those who've enrolled in health coverage plans through a federally operated insurance exchange.
President Barack Obama's administration reported Monday that 7,688 New Mexicans had selected an insurance plan using the government-run marketplace through last month.
New Mexicans ages 35 to 64 represented about 74 percent of enrollment. However, that age group accounts for not quite 40 percent of the state's population.